Sunday, November 21, 2010

Wake Up!!!!:


Getting out of bed in the morning is something that gives me trouble. Once I'm out of bed I can go all day but it's just that first step of actually getting out of bed. Normally it is not even that I'm overly tired, it's just the fact that I just don't want to get out of my warm comfortable bed. Unlike many runners I do not run in the morning, it is simply just not for me, my Dad has got up at 5:30 every Monday, Wednesday and Friday as long as I can remember to run, and I give him a lot of credit for it, and even joined him for a few times when I was in high school but I soon realized the morning workouts were just not for me.

Morning workouts aside, I am just focusing on getting out of bed. I have noticed over the past year or two that I am sleeping a bit better than I ever have, it seems like I sleep a bit heavier than I used to. I think that this has to do with all of the workouts and physical activity in general. I have heard of other runner or endurance athletes having the similar experiences. Your deep sleep cycles, specifically your REM sleep cycles is where you get the most rest and recovery, it would only make sense that increase physical activity would cause someone to enter and remain in this sleep cycle longer. Not to get into that topic too much I'm ultimately trying to get myself out of bed in the morning.

Here are some of the solutions that I am going to try to help get me out of bed in the morning.

Solution 1: Laptop next to bed.

Why this could work: For my job I communicate with a lot of companies around the world and in many different time zones. Therefore, I get emails throughout the night and I am generally very quick to try and read and respond. The thought is to have my laptop next to my bed so that when I wake up I can see all of the emails that I have to respond to and this would motive me to get out of bed.


Solution 2: Timer on coffee pot in room.

Why this will work: I am a coffee lover and there is not many things I enjoy more than a good cup of coffee, so moving the coffee pot into my room and setting the timer to start making coffee at the same time as my alarm this should help get me out of bed right? Picture Folgers commercial.


Solution 3: Drink lots of water the night before.

Why this will work: Not only will this help keep me hydrated but hopefully I'll have to go to the bathroom in the morning and thus getting me out of bed.


Solution 4
: Set alarm clock across the room.

Why this will work: Often the toughest part is just that first step out of bed, this will force me to get out of bed to shut off my alarm.


We'll see how these work, I will report back with results and if there are other ways that will help me get out of bed in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment