Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sunday Run Day: 24 Miles

I have been fortunate to be able to travel quite a bit these last few years and being a runner I try and take advantage of both running and site seeing. I have run/sight see in a number of great cities, such as Rome, Paris, Dusseldorf, Madrid and Lisbon. What I normally do is just head out for a run and set my Garmin watch, bring my camera and a credit card and have a general idea of where I want to go. Then I just stop whenever there is something that looks interesting and grab food and water when necessary. I do get some interesting looks when I'm buying candy bars wearing running tights, but you get used to it. This is not only great for getting you miles in but one thing I really enjoy about traveling is getting to experience the places I'm in. Seeing and experiencing a city on foot is the best way to do this in my opinion. I feel that I know Minneapolis a lot better having logged hundreds of miles throughout the city and so that is what I often do when I'm traveling.

So I decided to do the same here in Minneapolis, so I headed out with my credit card, my camel pack and camera. One of the great things about Minneapolis is all of the biking and running paths that are open all year round. In the winter the city will often plow the running paths before they plow the roads, which is great for me. Even if you live in the heart of Minneapolis you are only steps away from beautiful trails around the lakes and rivers. I took a bunch pictures as I was running and those of you who know Minneapolis well you can try and pick out some of the places. Hope you enjoy them and can see some of the great sights that Minneapolis has to offer.





Lake Hiawatha

Lake Nakomis

Minnehaha Creek

Stopped for a mid run snack, the sour patch kids were not a good idea.

Ducks in the creek

Nice path right along the creek

Tunnel under Lake St. connecting Lake Calhoun to Lake of the Isles

Lake Calhoun

Shot of Downtown from the walking bridge that connect the sculpture garden and Loring Park

Sculpture Garden


Target Field, baseball season is fast approaching


St. Anthony Falls

Running path the runs behind the New Guthrie Theather

Along the Mississippi River

Shot from Marshall/Lake Bridge

Minnehaha Falls

Minnehaha Creek

No comments:

Post a Comment