Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Update: August


Ok, so it has been quite a while since I've given everyone an update on what I've been up to. The past 2 months I have been pretty limited as far as running goes. After the Kettle Moraine 100 miler and Grandma's marathon I was pretty beat up, I had some real issue with my left foot. I think it was a start of a stress fracture due to the fact that I ran the last 25 miles of Kettle Moraine on one leg and then ran Grandma's marathon two weeks later.

So what have I been up to if I haven't been running? Good question, I have still been working out, doing mostly strength training, I have found that I have a number of muscular imbalances that have, can and will contribute to injuries should I want to continue running 100 mile races or multiple endurance races.

I have been trying to make good on my claims of productivity that I made earlier in the year on my guest blog post, check it out if you haven't already. 3 Ways to Get More Out of Your Day

Such claims include:

  • Full-time employee at Skyline for international trade show exhibits
  • Part-time job
  • Volunteer one night a week
  • Member of Toast Masters (I’m a brand new member)
  • Ultra marathoner- I run 50-100 miles a week/ workout 5-7 days a week
  • I have my own blog (shameless plug, I know)
  • I read 1-3 books a month
  • I am currently teaching myself how to play guitar
  • Just started to learning German (New Year’s Resolution)
  • I do have a social life, time to relax and I do sleep at night, a little anyways.
How am I doing so far you may ask.

I'm still employed at Skyline and will hopefully be moving into a larger roll within the company within the next month. I still have the part-time job but really have cut back on the hours, mainly because they would be replacing my weekends.

I still volunteer once a week and have actually started giving some talks and increasing my role there as well. As far as Toast Masters goes, I am an officer of the club and have given 6 speeches thus far.

In the running world I have completed two 100 mile races(Zumbro 100 and Kettle Moraine 100) and two marathons (Fargo Marathon and Grandma's Marathon) thus far and I am doing a four man 193 mile relay race this weekend the Ragnar Relays.

As you can see I am keeping up with the blog and have even started to do some video post and I am starting to get some great user feedback, keep the questions coming. Also I have expanded my social media presence to Twitter (follow me @jhanlon31), posting on Facebook and Tribal Running (Tribal Running page).

I still read a lot but probably only getting through about 1-2 books a month. I am actually making some progress on the guitar, I am still a ways away from playing a decent song, but I am quite confident that by the end of the year I will be rocking out to some Green Day or Jason Mraz, I might even post a video if I'm feeling confident.

I have purchased the Rosetta Stone program for learning German and I slowly making my way through. "Ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsch."

Finally as far as my social life goes it has been a great summer so far and I have really enjoyed it and have done a lot with friends, family and others. I was in a softball league and a kickball league, both of which were a blast and the summer is not over yet. For proof check out my Yelp account on the right hand side.

I am going to take it easy on the race schedule this fall, I really want to work on improving some of my weakness before I jump into any major races, so we'll see what happens after Ragnar. I will definitely have plenty of photos, hopefully some videos from Ragnar and a race report. It sounds like this is going to be a lot of fun. Basically I'll be running a half marathon every 6 hours and spending the in between time in a suburban with 2 other sweaty guys. We'll see how this one goes. I will try and keep everyone more updated with what's happening with me instead of all of the reviews and educational info. I guess I was pretty excited about some of the new things that I've reading and doing lately and thought they were worth sharing.

See you on the other side...

No comments:

Post a Comment