Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Green Smoothies!


As I have said earlier, nutrition has been a big part of my focus this year.  I do not have a specific diet but I tend to eat what allows me to run better.  I find that a lot of fresh fruits, veggies and lean proteins seem to do the trick.  

One thing I do almost every morning and often as a post workout refueling is a Green Smoothie.  A green smoothies is defined as a fruit smoothie that has some sort of leafy green incorporated into it.  There are tons of recipes out there just google it, here is the recipe that I use.  The main advantage of a green smoothie is that you can get the benefits of those leafy greens without having to eat them straight.  Plus I add in a few extra ingredients for protein, vitamins, minerals ect...  

Jordan's Green Smoothies recipe:
2 bananas
1/2 cup of berries ( I often use frozen blue berries or strawberries)
one medium leaf of Kale
1 tablespoon of hemp seed
1 tablespoon of dulse flakes
1 tablespoon of bee pollen
1-2 cups of water or coconut water (amount of water depends on how thick you like your smoothies)

Blend them all up in a blender and enjoy.  It doesn't have to be a expensive one, I have a $15 one from Kmart.   Hint: use frozen berries and your smoothie will be ice cold if using fresh berries add a few ice cubes.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment