Tuesday, November 3, 2009

So What Do You Eat?


Ok a lot people ask me what do I eat? How much? Do I carb load? What about supplement? Vitamins? Do you drink?

I have fairly normal diet to be truthful. I do not follow a particular plan, I just try and eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies and lean protein. I still still have the occasional late night drive thru burger and fries, I guess in my case I usually go for about 3-5 burgers and fries...I do eat a lot. Generally I have a Green Smoothie for breakfast, but other than that it is really a wide range of things.

I have read and learned a lot about the benefits of raw food i.e. fresh fruits, veggies and nuts. The one real benefit that there is to a high raw food diet is that fruits and veggies are all high nutrient dense foods. So this means that yes there is not as much protein in a handful of spinach as there is in a steak but the ratio of calories to protein is much higher.

I don't think I'll ever give up a great steak right off the grill but I better not plan on running for a few hours after. Having a meal of raw fruits and veggies and in 30-60 minutes I'm out the door, no food hangovers, which also helps at work, I'm not a zombie for an hour after lunch.

If to sum up what I eat or my diet, I guess I would say I eat what helps me enjoy running more. Just like hot wings, nachos and beer help watching the Vikings play on Sundays, fresh fruit, vegetables, and lean proteins make running more enjoyable.

I'll try and post some more websites and resources on nutrition that I have found insightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment