Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Ultra Marathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner


I first heard about Dean Karnazes while reading through a Runner's World magazine, they were doing a story about his latest accomplishment of running 50 marathons in 50 days in 50 states.  The article was interesting, but it wasn't until a family vacation this past summer when I was talking to one of my cousins about Dean's book Ultra Marathon Man, that I really got interested.  

He was telling me about the book and some of Dean's accomplishments and how motivating he thought the book was.  About a month after the vacation I was looking for an audio book to download, I like to listen to them during my commute to work, I came across Dean's book.  I listen to the first 4 chapters and got motivated and went out for a run.  I had only ran about 3 times in the past 2 months but was still in fairly good shape from running a previous marathon in June.  

I guess the runner's high and the inspiration from the book really motivated me and I ended up going for 23.5 miles.  I had to walk most of the last 5 miles, they were quite painful, but it was quite the experience and it gave me a glimpse into what it is to push your body to do something you did not think you'd be able to do, which is the theme of Dean's book.   Being able to achieve what is thought to be impossible and taking advantage of every second of life. 

I strongly recommend this book.  Dean just published another book about his experience of running 50 marathon' in 50 days in 50 states.  Some of his next goals are to run 300 miles non-stop and run from L.A. to Hawaii in what looks to be a big inflatable hamster ball.  

As for me I don't think 50 marathon in 50 days is likely anytime soon, but my goal for 2009 is a 50 mile race, I guess I'll have to start there... 

Dean's Website:www.ultramarathonman.com     

No comments:

Post a Comment