Sunday, September 13, 2009

Superior 50 Mile Trail Race 2009: Results




I can officially check running 50 miles straight off my bucket list. Before I get into the race, I strongly encourage anyone to visit the North Shore in MN. It is some of the most beautiful country side I've ever seen, and I got to see 50 miles of it in one day.

The Superior Trail 50 Mile race was great, it was definitely a tough course, I had to walk quite a bit of it even when I was not tired. The trail was extremely technical(meaning lots of roots, rocks and other things to trip on) so even on some of the flat portions, which were few an far between you couldn't really get going. But like I said it was gorgeous views the entire time and I ran with a friend for about 40 of the 50 miles. We actually took a wrong turn, which was my fault and ended up adding about 2 more miles, but no big deal.

Now I know most of you won't believe me but the race actually flew by. The main reason I say that is because you literally have to watch everywhere you step. So you really can only concentrate on the next step and each aid station was about 5-8 miles apart so that helps to break of the race.

The only thing that I didn't like or don't like is that the race did take a toll on my body. After the race my friend point out that the back of my knees were black and blue. I do remember them starting to hurt around mile 16 but I never really fell or strained them. Another thing is that I feel like a 90 year old man with a bad back. It was quite painful getting up Sunday morning and today as well. I don't think I'll be able to do much running this week, which is sort of difficult for me because I'm used to recovering very quickly.

All in all it was a great race and I'll definitely do another one maybe even another one this year.
Results:
Place-10th
Time-11 hours 34 minutes






1 comment:

  1. Great race. I started following you and Bruce after the Temperance aid station. I thought I was going to have to walk from there my knee was so screwed up so it was a huge help to follow you guys for a few miles. I can't believe how much you got ahead of us those last 10 miles. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete