Monday, September 21, 2009

What's 4 Minutes?


The Short-Intense-Workout that Delivers:

I'm talking about Tabata Training, a short intense workout that is supposed to yield major gains. What is Tabata Training? It was created in Japan in 1996 by Izumi Tabata from the National Institute of Fitness and Sports in Tokyo, who was searching for a better training protocol for the Japanese speed-skating team.

It is simple and easy(relatively). All you do is a quick 4 minute interval workout.

20seconds Sprints all out
10 Seconds rest
8 times for a total of 4 minutes.

Sounds easy enough and it is recommended that you start out incorporating it into your normal workout and once a week for beginners, 2 for intermediate and 3 times a week for advanced runners. According to a study done participants using the Tabata interval technique for 6weeks improved 14% verses 10% for non users. in max aerobic capacity. They also improved there anaerobic capacity by 28% while none user saw no gain.

While I can not fully endorse this training technique as I have not used it yet. I think I can spare the extra 4 minutes to give it a try and see what results I get.

No comments:

Post a Comment