Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Training Day #2


Yesterday was my first hard day of training, I did 9 miles total and 4 of the 9 at my lactic threshold (LT). Generally that is about 85%-90% of your max heart rate. Since I don't know exactly what my max heart rate is the general rule is 220 minus your ages which puts me at 195, but I think mine is a bit higher than that. So I cruised along at about 185 which was challenging but seemed about right, for me on a treadmill at about 1.5%-2.0% incline is about 10.0-10.5 mph or a 6:00-5:43 minute mile pace, not too bad.

Ok, enough numbers all in all I felt pretty good for only my 2nd day of official training and I also discovered something worse than icing my legs, which involves me filling my tub with icy water and sitting in it for 5-10 minutes. It is icy during the winter, yes it is exponentially worse to get in a tub of ice when you just came in from 10 degree weather, but you can't deny the benefits of icing.

For those of you wondering why I would subject myself to this and what benefits could justify such an act...I'll tell you. Icing your legs helps to prevent swelling and promote blood flow to muscles which have just been broken down by your workout. This helps them recover more quickly and greatly reduces soreness the next day.

There is a silver lining to icing in the dead of a Minnesota winter, there is plenty of snow outside to grab and through in the tub or freeze a few milk jugs outside without taking up freezer space.
Sad that for at least a few weeks if not months out of the year it is warmer in my freezer than it is outside.


No comments:

Post a Comment