Sunday, May 17, 2009

Eating Right on a Budget


This year I have focused a lot on nutrition, I have really been trying to eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies along with lean proteins.  Distance runners tend to eat a lot and I'm certainly no different, so when you are eating a lot of fresh fruits and veggies, you tend to have to eat a lot of them to get enough calories.  This is fine, but can be very expensive, my food budget is generally around $150-$200 a month and I usually don't buy strictly organic produce, that's a lot for a single person.  

That is why I love the Farmer's markets, not only are they generally less expensive, they are almost always organic and they help support local growers.  For those of us apartment dwellers who are unable to have a garden this is a great resource.  

I bought all of the produce pictured above for $6, not too bad.  Also another quick tip, organic produce is the best when/if you can afford it, but as a general rule if you are going to peal the fruit or veggie it doesn't necessarily have to be organic.  Here is a great article of picking out health groceries on a budget.


No comments:

Post a Comment